UPDATED 4:30 PM PT – Tuesday, March 2, 2021
A group of high school athletes sued Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-Calif.) to play indoor high school sports. On Monday, Orange County student athletes filed a lawsuit against Newsom’s indoor sports ban, alleging a violation of their 14th Amendment equal protection rights.
NEW: Several O.C. athletes have just filed a lawsuit against Gov. Newsom, seeking a TRO to immediately reopen youth/high school indoor sports in O.C. under equal protection arguments. They say there’s no evidence indoor sports safe for college/pros, but not high school. @FOXLA pic.twitter.com/bNApUfU67q
— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) March 2, 2021
Last week, a San Diego County judge issued a temporary restraining order against the governor’s restrictions, allowing indoor youth sports to play with strict precautions in place.
The indoor ban only concerns California’s youth sports, while college and professional sports have already resumed.
“They can’t say that it’s okay for the college kids to play, and not okay for the high school kids to play,” Brad Graham, the parent of a student athlete said. “The time to move forward is now, we don’t believe there’s evidence that the kids couldn’t go back tomorrow. There’s not a huge risk to these kids, especially if we follow the same protocols that the college and pros follow.”
The law firm representing the teens said it plans to spread the San Diego victory across the state to ensure high school students have the same rights as college and professional athletes.