OAN’s Abril Elfi
11:06 AM – Wednesday, December 13, 2023
Five elementary school-aged children were rushed to the hospital after they reportedly ingested fentanyl-laced gummy bears.
On Tuesday, the Amherst County Sheriff’s Office said that seven children at Central Elementary School in Virginia “experienced a reaction to ingesting gummy bears” altogether while class was in session.
Reports also highlighted that school administrators immediately notified emergency services of the incident and that five students who were in dire condition received medical attention as soon as medical personnel arrived.
“Of the seven students, five needed medical attention. Two of the students were transported by EMS and three of the students were transported by their parents,” the sheriff’s office stated.
Later, the county sheriff’s office tested the gummies and results showed that the seemingly innocent sweet treats had tested positive for fentanyl. Authorities also stated that they “confirmed that the bag was brought home by a student.”
The sheriff’s office released a statement on Tuesday following the incident.
“We will work with the Sheriff’s Office as they continue their investigation,” read the statement. “The families of the students have been notified of the results. We will provide another update as more information becomes available.”
The Amherst County Sheriff’s Office will be investigating the incident.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Stay informed! Receive breaking news blasts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts