UPDATED 1:01 PM PT – Thursday, September 9, 2021
President Trump has reportedly reached out to the families of the fallen service members killed in the Kabul airport attack. On Wednesday, an advisor said Trump had been making phone calls to the grieving families. In addition, they said the 45th president would try to attend a funeral of one of the Marines in Manhattan.
The mother of 20-year-old fallen Marine Kareem Nikoui invited Trump to her son’s memorial service after what she said was a disappointing meeting with Joe Biden. She wrote to Facebook that “it would be such an honor” if Trump would attend.
Although Trump responded to her funeral invitation, he has not confirmed publicly if he would be in attendance on Sept. 18.
“Civilians should have been brought out first, along with our $85 billion of equipment, with the military coming out very safely after all was clear. I love you and I love Kareem,” Trump commented back to the post.
Meanwhile, Biden has continued to see major backlash from many Gold Star families since the attack. They noted how Biden continued to check his watch during the transfer ceremony at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. Many have also argued their children would still be here today if the U.S. troop withdrawal would have been handled differently.